Tuesday, September 7, 2010

NY 9/6

Left Niagara falls under cloudy but dry skies and continued that theme all day. From the falls I went east and south to the finger lakes region and zig zaged around the lakes. The area is full of various lake front homes so the main hiway is back a ways making it hard to get a good view of the lakes bit I did get a few good peeks. After a few hours of zigging and zagging around the back country areas I headed off towards the next corner. GPSy Lady kept pestering me to turn left, turn right, turn left, blah blah blah thru various small roads resulting in lots of movement but little distance. My fault as I programmed to use the back roads but it got to be a bit much. So I interrupted her and plotted a new route to Madawaska, ME and off we went. At some point I checked the new route and realized she was routing me back into Canada and over the top of Maine. I did not want to go back to CA again since the border crossings can be a pain when backed up especially on a holiday weekend. So I modified her plans again to go towards Bangor and then north. Easier said than done. Seems Maine has little in the way of hiways of any sort so you have to either go over the top or around the bottom. No crossing up the middle etc so yet another few routes created to get me to my destination. And, since I figured out I was being routed thru Canada I ended up being a bit farther north so had to do a bit of east and south travel to get back on track. So I’ll be traveling thru Vermont and New Hampshire tomorrow. It’s ~750 miles from the hotel I am at to the next corner. So probably Wednesday arrival and then south along the coast a bit

No comments: