Tuesday, September 7, 2010

9/7 NY VT NH ME

The motel I was at was rather shabby to say the least! But it served is purpose. Did not rain all night but as soon as I started packing up the trailer it starts! Murphy lives! I continued east thru the Adirondack mountains via NY3, a twisty road that went thru Lake Placid where the Olympics were held some time ago. Looks like it still used a training facility for various sports. The rain gave up about 2 hours in to the day. It was a very light rain but still annoying. Crossed into Vermont and continued down secondary and alternate state highways. Lots of rolling hills, farms and open spaces. After a few hours of rolling thru the back country I crossed into New Hampshire. More back roads and nice scenery and then interstates for a bit. Crossed thru NH and finally into Maine. Temps warmed up to low 80’s and sunny for the first time in days. Although the previous days were comfortable the sun was hidden by high clouds. Also got a taste of the blasted turnpike toll roads here. What a PITA to have to stop every so often for a $1 toll. I did hit one in NY and I got a ticket when I got on and when I got off I gave the ticket back and the corresponding toll. Much easier than the other way.

My target was Bangor, ME but I stopped about 60 miles early and am holed up at the last KOA on the route. I asked at the info station at the border and not much at this end for camping along my route. I did get info on some further north I can use on my way back down though. I’ve got ~275 miles to go to get to the top of ME and the second corner (or 3rd if you count the center). I should be there my mid day Wednesday.

No comments: