Sunday, September 19, 2010

9/14 Corner # 3

Headed south from Jacksonville early. It had cooled off some over night but still very mild. I could see dark skies south and the Weather Channel indicated rain towards Miami. Unfortunately they were correct. I stopped earlier to switch to my waterproof gloves and a light rain jacket. Should have put on the full rain suit. Shortly after the stop the rains came with vengeance. I pounded very hard dumping several inches of water on the roads in minutes. Traffic slowed from 75 to 40 and I crept along barely able to see. I decided to exit and find cover the get the rest of the rain gear on. I found a gas station and pulled under their overhang, got the full suit on, filled the tank and by the time I was ready to leave the heaviest had passed. It was still raining but much lighter making it easier to see. It did not last too much longer but I opted to not change just in case. I eventually made it to the south end of Miami to Hiway 1 which is the only road thru the Keys. It's 105 miles of 2 lane 55 mph road. As you pass thru the each of the many Keys the speed drops and so on all the way. It took almost 2.5 hours to get to Key West. The temp was 92 and the humidity must have been the same. It felt like I was riding in a sauna! YUCK!! Aside from the traffic you have to watch for the 100's of small scooters on the road. I think everyone who lives there has one and tourists can rent them on every corner. They also think they are immune from the usual traffic laws such as stopping at stop signs. Once thru town I found the Post Office, got my 3rd corner picture and then headed to the end of the hiway where there is a buoy indicating the furthest point south. Cuba is 90 miles away. I wandered Duvall Street which is the main drag with assorted restaurants, shops and so forth that want to lighten your wallet. I picked up my usual shot glass, magnets and so on and continued thru the town. After completing the loop I began the trek north. The traffic northbound was lighter so I was able to get back to the Miami area in about 2 hours. From there I headed west and made it to Naples and called it a day. It was cooler but still very humid at 2200.

No comments: