Sunday, September 19, 2010

9/16 AL MS LA TX

Another early start as the temps were cooler and the sun behind me. Made it thru AL and MS with little fanfare. Going the LA there were vast expanses of swamp on both sides of the hiway. At one point the hiway is elevate 30' or so for 20-30 miles. Both sides of the hiway are covered with thick vegetation and trees but there were some clearings that allowed views of the swamp for as far as you could see. Lots of old cypress tres sticking out everywhere and old stumps dotting the landscape. Eventually the swamps ended and the landscape changed to flat open grassy views.

I reached Houston, TX about 1400 and zillions of cars everywhere. The carpool lanes were signed as restricted use from 1400-2000! The commute here must be horrid to have a 6hr carpool lane restriction. No thanks! Lots of traffic but moving and eventually reached the other side of town. Three hours later I was approaching San Antonio just in time for commute hour. GPSy Lady routed me around the city on one of the loop roads and I only had to endure about 5 miles of slow going. Once past town the speed limit jumps to 80 and traffic starts moving very quickly. It's a two lane divided hiway and traffic once out of town thins quickly making the 80MPH speed quite easy to do. There are no restrictions for trailers so I made good time. I did need to stop for gas a bit sooner than usual though! I made it to Fort Stockton and called it a day. The temps were still warm but the humidity was noticeably lower which was very welcome.

No comments: