Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/9 Acadia National Park

Had an easy and scenic ride from the motel to Acadia NP. Took about 90 minutes. The park was quite busy and the visitor center full of visitors. I had expected lighter traffic given school was in session and Labor Day Weekend being the start of the slower session. The park is comprised of a series of several islands. The largest is the primary one visited by most guests. There is a 27 mile loop road around with many view points and exhibits to enjoy. There are vast quantities of pink granite everywhere from centuries old volcanic activities giving a pink hue to the many viewing areas. The highest point is Cadillac Mountain at 1500 ft. It's listed as the highest point in the North East I believe. It provides a 270 degree view from Bar Harbor, numerous islands and finally out to the open ocean. I spent several hours enjoying the many sights. I eventually made my way to the campground and got set up. There is a trail from the camp out the the cliffs above the ocean about 40' below that I enjoyed just watching the waves crash on the rocks below. The rain gods found me once again and a short rain shower passed thru. The 3rd one of the afternoon but all were short. After returning to camp I scared up some dinner and walked thru the campground and another heavier shower passed thru. Seems to be theme the last few days :( and so since it was dark I called it day and read for a bit and nodded off.

No comments: