Saturday, September 25, 2010

9/20 - the fourth corner!

I departed Phoenix at 0600 wanting to try to 'beat the heat' in Yuma on my way to Southern CA for the forth corner in San Ysidro. It was in the high 70's already so I was betting on a hot ride until I got past El Centro. I guess the weather gods had taken pity on me because it was only in the 90's about noon when I passed thru. Still warm but much more tolerable. After all it's a 'dry heat' :. Once past El Centro I crossed over the mountains and the temps cooled nicely. My GPSy nag routed me off of I-8 and on to CA 125 I believe. Unfortunately this is a toll road. I got raped $9 - double a car rate because of my trailer. I think I went maybe 20 miles. What a rip off! I thought the Jersey Turnpike was bad at $23 and that was for the entire state north to south. Grrrrrrr. Made to San Ysidro and drove around looking for the Post Office. GPSy Lady had them listed but all seemed to be annexes, not the main PO. Stopped at a UPS Store and got pointed in the right direction. got my pix of the fourth corner and headed north about 1330 or so. I was hoping to get thru LA before the evening commute.

Once again I got lucky. Just south of LA proper I was routed to US 101 as I was going up to the Santa Barbara area to meet my daughter. 101 goes right thru downtown LA but I was lucky enough to be a bit early for the commute traffic and only encountered a few pockets of slowed traffic. I made it to Buellton - about an hour north of Santa Barbara and met Kristen and Michael and called it a day 11 hours from starting. All 4 corners are in the bag!

No comments: