Thursday, August 26, 2010

MT, WY, SD More great views ! 8/27

A travel day heading for Mt. Rushmore, Custer, Crazy Horse.  Headed down the road about 0700 temps in the 30's again but warmed quickly.  I headed down MT 296 - Chief Joseph Hiway.  This is another scenic byway that has more incredible views.  Mountains, open valleys, and wide open views.  The top of the pass - Dead Horse Pass I think is ~5500 ft and you can see forever.  Again the skies were crystal clear blue and temps in the 70's or so.  At Cody I headed east on WY 14A - Medicine Wheel Scenic route.  There is nothing out there as far as the eye can see except incredible views for ever.  The road has some very steep grades and tight turns which make for a great ride! I eventually connected with I90 and continued east towards Sheridan with temps in the mid 90's.  A bit toasty!  I ended the day at a campground near Mt. Rushmore with temps in the low 80's. Much better!  Tomorrow I'll ride thru Custer Park and Mt Rushmore.  There is a new visitor center at Mt Rushmore that was not there last time I was here in '94. 

1 comment:

SEC said...

Wish I were there! Call me from the Ritz...